Let me tell you one thing first. You do NOT need a doughnut pan to make doughnuts at home. There are plenty of tips and tricks online. I personally used a muffin pan and placed piping tubes of my cake decoration set in the middle of each cavity (photo of my little experiment). A great summary on how to make vegan doughnuts even if you don’t have a doughnut pan was also written by onegreenplanet.org.
Now that this is out of the way, let’s talk about doughnuts. I had my last doughnut more than a year ago. And even before that, the few times I tried it I found doughnuts too sweet or too greasy to become a regular treat.
So here I am on a lazy Friday night scrolling through Instagram , browsing Pinterest and seeing all these healthy-looking vegan doughnut recipes. And my mind wonders ‘Hm, this doesn’t look *too sweet* or *too greasy*. Maybe I should just make my own doughnuts?! And Hey, I could even add pumpkin or sweet potato. And I don’t need tons of powdered sugar to create a delicious and shinny glaze.’. No sooner said than done. Here is my Super Easy Baked Vegan Sweet Potato Doughnut recipe with refined-sugar-free peanut butter glazing. You need less than 10 ingredients for the dough AND the glazing. Another wonderful thing about this recipe, you need no more than 30 min from taking out the mixing bowl from the cupboard till getting out the freshly baked doughnuts from the oven. But what’s even more awesome (I hope you now understand that this is the best doughnut recipe ever), the peanut butter doughnut glazing does without powdered sugar or any other form of refined sugar.
- 1/2 cup flour (I used 1/4 cup gluten-free flour mix & 1/4 cup rice flour)
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (1 medium sized sweet potato or use 1/2 cup chickpeas or pumpkin instead)
- 1/2 nut or coconut milk
- 1/4 coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp apple vinegar
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp syrup (I used homemade coconut syrup but I think any liquid syrup would be fine)
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes and/or finely chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Heat up nut milk, mashed sweet potato, coconut oil and apple vinegar but don’t bring it to boil.
- In a mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients, then add wet mixture and stir well.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of dough into each cavity. Smooth out the top of the dough with your finger, spoon or other appropriate kitchen tool.
- Bake for 10 min.
- Take out the oven and allow doughnuts to cool down completely before glazing
- In a small sauce pan, heat up peanut butter and syrup. Still well regularly until smooth and creamy.
- Dip each doughnut into the peanut butter glaze or use a spoon to glaze the doughnuts.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut, finely chopped pistachios and/ or even superfood powder.