Happy New Year! So much has happened since my last post (one month ago…ups). Like these Sweet Potato Bliss Balls. But let’s start at the beginning. We moved from Cairo to Istanbul, I had to put on my winter boots for the first time in three years because it was snowing non stop for a few days in Istanbul and I didn’t see the sun for a week now. Yes, that is a highlight (or rather a lowlight) in my life. Don’t take this as complaining. I’m super happy to be in Istanbul. And that is even an understatement. I’m super duper über excited about our move to Turkey. I’m personally looking forward to exploring the local food scene, testing and trying new ingredients, traveling to every corner of Turkey, discovering local craftsmanship and well of course meeting new friends. We also made plans for 2016 to tour an extensive part of the region. We call it ‘Project 12’ and we are aiming to visit (as the name might suggest) 12 countries including Bulgaria, Romania and Armenia. 2016 will be a great year.
So let’s celebrate with some bliss balls. One of my favorite food discoveries of 2015. I’m not a big snacker but I love making little snack so I can add them to my main dishes…. and maybe sometimes even munch on them between meals. Until now I only made sweet bliss balls. But after too many Christmas cookies and a pile of vegan white chocolate from my family I’m currently craving savoury foods. These Sweet Potato Bliss Balls are packed with herby flavours. Za’atar is a mix of Middle Eastern herbs and is used as a seasoning in Arab cuisine. The green superfood is a blend of chia seeds, spirulina and chlorella and high in antioxidants and a great energizer.
Sweet Potato Bliss Balls With Za’atar & Green Superfoods
- ½ baked sweet potato
- 3 Tbsp tigernut flour (substitute with coconut flour, oat flour, flaxseed meal if you like)
- peper and salt for seasoning
- 1 tbsp Za'atar
- 1 tbsp green superfood powder (I used Alkaline Greens from LoveRaw)
- Use a small spoon to scoop out the interior of the baked potato.
- Transfer it to a bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add the flour and salt & pepper.
- Form small balls in your hands.
- Roll in Za'atar and green superfood powder
- Serve as appetizers, snack or in salad