It’s carrot season in Egypt. Wait! You might wonder, there is a carrot season? Yes, there is! Obviously, you get carrots all year around but at the moment they are the juiciest and sweetest.
And here is another fact: Cooking season is not only during Christmas. Okay, you probably know that already. I, on the contrary, never really baked cookies other than in December.
Big mistake as I learned this week. Because these delicious carrot cake cookies with mango cashewcream are just the best treat a healthy girl can ask for. They are vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free.
Vegan Carrot Cake Cookies With Raw Mango Cashewcream
3/4 cups almond meal (make your own in a food processor)
1 cup oat flour (pulse gluten-free oats in food processor)
1 cup grated carrots
1 medium soft banana
1 tbsp date syrup (or 5 dried dates)
1-2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
Raisins to your taste
Mango cashewcream (inspired by Green Kitchen Stories)
1 cup cashews (soak overnight or for at least 6 hours in water)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 pinch of salt
Optional 1/2 tsp psyllium husks powder
1. Add almond meal, oat flour, banana, carrots, date syrup and 1 tbsp on ground flaxseed to food processor and pulse until a smooth dough is formed
2. Add more flaxseed flour or oat flour if the batter feels to wet
3. Scrap your dough into a bowl and add the raisons. I used 3 tbsp of raisons
4. Preheat the over to 180°C/350 F
5. Scoop out 1 tbsp amount of cookie dough, make a ball first and then gently form into flat cookies
6. Place the cookies on parchment paper on a baking sheet
7. Bake for 15-20 min but check regularly because every oven is different
8. Remove from the oven and let set until they cool down
1. Soak cashews overnight or at least for 6 hours
2. Place cashew nuts, lemon juice and mango in a food processor
3. Blend until creamy (add some water for extra smoothness)
4. Optional: mix 1/2 tsp psyllium husks powder with 1/2 cup of water, add it to the cashewcream and blend again for a few seconds
Final Steps: Either top each cookie with 2 tsps of cashewcream and press another cookie on top to make a sandwich. Or dip the cookie in cashewcream.