Last weekend I was utterly in love with waffles, this weekend pancakes and I are best buddies again. Usually I’m not that fickle but food is an exception. One week I’m all into raw spiralised veggies, the next week I’m in love with everything roasted. That doesn’t mean that I completely dismiss certain food groups. My list of recipes that I love continues on getting longer and longer. And it keeps my culinary life very interesting.
Here is a little secret. I don’t really have a favorite dish. I love the Italian cuisines as much as I love the Asian way of cooking. It all depends on my mood, sometimes I’m craving carby foods and other times a green salad is all I need to be happy and content. Okay, maybe avocado is always a good answer to a bad day. Definitely avocado. Maybe I should have made avocado pancakes this weekend. Maybe I try it next week. Too many maybes, so let’s get back to the star of today’s post, the vegan protein banana pancakes.
I have been experimenting with a healthy (read gluten-free and vegan) pancake recipes for quite a while. And honestly, it’s not that difficult. Vegan low carb and/or high protein pancakes however are muuuuuuch harder to make. I once whipped up pancake batter made of coconut flour only. Well, the result looked rather like a crumble than a solid pancake. Complete failure.
Okay, okay, I get it. It’s weekend and everyone deserves a treat from time to time but what if that treat tastes amazing AND is healthy. I’m not against carbs, I mean who wants to leave behind bread and pasta. I’m just for less carbs whenever possible. And it is possible with these vegan protein banana pancakes. They are even boyfriend-approved and that’s quite a difficult status to achieve. It means that the recipe does not only make my über healthy friends happy, there is a high probability that traditional pancake lovers and high carb fanatics will like it too.
And that’s my goal, right?! I want everyone to eat AND enjoy healthy and happy food.
Vegan Protein Banana Pancakes
- 1 medium-large ripe banana
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup vegan protein powder
- 1 flax seed egg (Mix 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp of water and set aside for 15 min)
- 1 1/2 cup water or non-diary milk
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Coconut chia pudding
- 2 tbsp red jam (I used homemade red currant vanilla jam)
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F
- Add flours, banana and protein powder to a blender and blend until smooth
- Now add the flaxseed egg and blend for another few seconds until everything is well combined
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add one tsp of coconut oil
- Scoop the pancake batter onto the pan, using approximately 2-3 tbsp
- Cook until surface has some bubbles (about 2 min) and flip carefully with a spatula and cook until brown on underside (about 1-2 min)
- Transfer to platter and place in oven to cook for another 5 min
- Serve warm, with chia pudding and red jam